This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Interesting articles

An interesting article about animal intelligence:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/03/animal-minds/virginia-morell-text.html

I'm still unclear about the precise difference between instinct and cognition, though. Where does one draw the line?

From biology textbook: innate behavior is developmentally fixed. Learning is experience-based modification of one's own behavior. For example, classis conditioning is the ability of an animal to associate a stimulus with an outcome. Operant conditoning is the ability to associate a behavior with an outcome. In the latter case, the animal can modify his own behavior to get the desired outcome. Cognition is the ability to perceive, store, process, and use information.

This is another interesting one, for everyone that loves American music - http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0704/feature4/

1 comment:

Nanami said...

Wow! Go Alex!! I didn't manage to read the entire thing but I did read the Alex ordeal. Its amazing how he acted. Nice article!