This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunny San Diego

By the hotel we were staying in, there is a place called SeaPort Village. It is like Pearl Street, only it is by the beach. There is a man who brings a group of rescued parrots and shows them to people. There are a lot of pigeons and people walking around, and the parrots will imitate the pigeon sounds or say "hello, hello" depending on who they are looking at. There was one rebellious parrot that was making rooster sounds. Next to the parrot man is a man selling kites and offering lessons on how to fly them. There are a lot of tourist shops, restaurants, and musicians, and of course the gorgeous sea. I recommend visiting it - you can walk around or rent a bike and take it around the place.

I am very bad at running, particularly outside. I tried yesterday, and felt like I couldn't run at all! I am really out of shape. Hopefully, by next month, I'll be better :)

Being non-judgmental is a goal for many, and is a very important goal to me, but it is hard to achieve. Not judging someone for the way they look, their ethnicity, their religious views is easy. To not judge someone for their personal values or lifestyles is slightly harder. To not judge someone for being an imperfect human is hardest of all, which is ridiculous, logically, because everyone is an imperfect human - why distinguish one imperfect human from another? Why strive for perfection? Why not just accept everyone as they are? Why judge judgmentalism, arrogance, impatience, aggression? Someone may be in a bad mood today and in a good mood tomorrow - they might act selfishly today and selflessly tomorrow. So why bother judging people when their nature, behavior, ideas, attitudes change every day, and when it is impossible to classify and analyze and completely understand something as complex as a human? I wish I could just see everyone as human, and not have any thoughts about them beyond that, but of course, it is very hard to do. I feel like I've gotten better at it, but when I am taking part in a conversation that involves analysis of others and their actions, I hate it, but then I feel, what gives me the right to condemn and judge the people who are doing the analysis? And if they are doing the analysis, maybe they are doing it for a reason? That they have strong feelings toward a subject because of their past experiences, and they are reacting strongly to the feelings that this topic or person has reminded them of. It is all very confusing...

1 comment:

Nanami said...

Wow! How true. I didn't realize until you analyzed it. Yes its very hard not thinking about someone in a way. Sometimes even a word or a misunderstanding is enough to change the whole perspective about a person.

Did you have fun in San Diego?