Hello - does anyone have recommendations for good books to read?
The last fiction book I read was Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. It is a great story, and has many powerful messages: how one treats someone shapes who they become; and the folly of seeking knowledge for the sake of knowledge itself, rather than being mindful of its consequences and how they affect human-kind.
Usually, I don't like books with messages and morals - Frankenstein is an exception because it is so good - it is made better because of its useful message. But, I prefer books that are just fun to read, and are not trying to make any point. Alice in Wonderland and Winne the Pooh are two of my favorites. Alice in Wonderland is really imaginative - I don't know how he came up with so many unique characters and crazy poetry. Through the Looking Glass is very cool - because the entire book is about a chess game that Alice is playing - and she goes suddenly into entirely new environment whenever she crosses from one square to the next, and she meets the Kings, Queens, and the White Knight. Winnie the Pooh is a hilarious book - it will surely make you laugh a lot. And the original Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne is nothing like the Disney version! It is very sarcastic, and the characters are so much like adult characters, that I think he wrote the book for adults instead of kids. In Disney, Eeyore is gloomy and grumpy, but lovable. In the book, he is a total narcissist - complaining whenever he is not the center of attention. It is very funny how the characters have conversations - none of them know what the conversation is about, but they all pretend they do. I do that too sometimes... I smile and nod, even though I have no clue.
3 comments:
Well I would recommend reading "Five point someone". It's kind of funny and related to IIT college life of 3 friends :). It'll be reading something different for a change. Also another one I read was "Almost single" by Advaita Kala which is also funny :P.
Thanks Dipal! They sounded good from your reviews, especially the "Five point someone", but I couldn't find it at the library... :(
Ohh...It's from an Indian author so I don't know if you will be able to find it here. I'll look around and see if I find a copy of it in any libraries :).
Post a Comment