This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Friday, May 28, 2010

What is important?

At the end of each day, I don't remember much about the details of the chores and work I did.  Well, sometimes I do remember something that I was proud to have accomplished, or something that I goofed up on.  But, most of what I remember involves people - conversations I had with co-workers or friends over lunch or a game, new people that I met on the bus, laughing with my husband.  It seems that all that really matters in life are people.

My husband introduced me to three schools of thoughts (the names of which I can't remember) on what aspects of life are meaningful and worthwhile to pursue.

In one, material possessions are worthwhile. Life, including material pleasures such as eating, drinking, and entertainment, is meant to be enjoyed.

In another, material possessions are not worth much, but human and animal relationships are important.  One can live a fulfilling life with minimal food, water, clothes, etc., but not without meaningful relationships.

In the third, human relationships are also materialistic. Only spirituality is a worthwhile pursuit.  One can take neither relationships nor other possessions with them in the afterlife, and so one must focus on what is beyond the here and now. 

What are your thoughts?

I like philosophy #2 the best.

No comments: