This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver

Dear friends, after reading Sunshine's posts on her Seattle trip, I feel inspired to write one too.  The trip was awesome and relaxing.  We flew into Seattle.  The best part was getting to meet "insertsillyblogname" and having the best sushi I've ever tasted!  We saw Pikes Place Market and the Seattle Center the next day. They were both beautiful and fun places, and I didn't feel like leaving either.  We took the ferry that same night from Port Angeles to Victoria, and it was freezing! Victoria was a beautiful and clean city.  We went for a long 4+ hours hike and kayaking in Sooke.  The hiking was tiring even though it was all flat.  I lost the map when we were driving there, so we ended up hiking in the wrong place, but it was still fun. The kayaking was great! Rowing was fun, and we got to see starfish, jellyfish, otters, and crabs.  The best part of Victoria was Butchart Gardens - there were thousands of flowers.  We took many photos, that I hope to upload soon.  We took another ferry to Vancouver.  That one was during the day, so we got to see the islands on the way, and enjoy the view.  The weather was very warm at that time, so it was nice to stand outside and watch.  In Vancouver, we saw Stanley Park, and a little of downtown.  Vancouver seems like a tolerant, friendly, clean, and laid-back place.  It is very urban, and I loved it, and would love to live there.  The weather was beautiful throughout our trip, and I heard that Vancouver doesn't get that cold, even in the winter. 

My husband has a hard time sleeping on plane rides because he gets motion sickness.  I have the opposite problem - I can't stay awake.  The motion and hum of the aircraft is like a lullaby for me.  My husband made me drink coffee this time so I'd stay awake and talk to him, and it was a lot of fun.  He explained geography to me (studying groups of people, and exchange of ideas between peoples over space and time), and I explained computer science to him.  I told him it was a combination of programming, programming languages, and algorithms.  Hopefully I got that right :-)  I also learned a little bit about Washington state from him.

My husband told me: Mount Rainier is the snowiest place on Earth.  It is also huge, and so must be very difficult to climb.  It is part of the Cascades, which were formed by volcanic activity, as opposed to the Coastal Range (which includes the Olympic Mountains in the Olympic Peninsula) which are formed by the fault between the Juan de Fuca plate and North American plate. 

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Lol...I am always sleepy in the airplane but can not sleep properly due to lack of space, uncomfortable seats and what not....but the hum of the aircraft is like a lullaby for you? Haha....That's great if you can sleep on the airplane.

That's great info on Washington state that I didn't know.

LlamajitKaur said...

Heheh - I remember you slept on the bus though.

Sunshine said...

Yes, I used to fall asleep in the bus while coming back home from college....but the bus seats are more comfortable than airplane...lol

EvanA said...

The Cascades are formed by the subduction of the Juan de Fuca plate beneath the North American plate. They are still being formed, and are the only volcanic chain in the contiguous U.S. The northern Coast Ranges were formed by the subduction of the Juan de Fuca plate, as well.