NPR online news has a "Three Books" column - each week, they select three books to recommend to readers that share a common theme. I really enjoy reading this column, and thought I'd give it a try. Here goes:
To understand the current social and political state, one must look to the past and understand the historical developments, movements, and struggles that brought us here. These movements, in turn, were brought on in part by convincing, philosophical essays. Atleast, that is the claim of "Ideas and Ideologies". Here are three books about history and philosophical statements about policy and society.
Ideas and Ideologies: this two volume book attempts to explain all of the political and ideological philosophies that led to the major political movements in modern, Western society. The blue volume contains a collection of political essays, from Marx's Communist Manifesto to Peter Singer's All Animals are Equal. The companion red volume provides historical and explanatory context for the ideologies espoused by the essays. This is a great survey of political schools of thought.
A Testament of Hope: a collection of essays, sermons, and speeches written and spoken by Martin Luther King, Jr. The uplifting and eloquent "I Have a Dream" speech is his most famous, but the works in this book cover philosophy of the civil rights movement, thoughts on civil disobedience, human rights, poverty, war, and human dignity. Every essay is thought-provoking, inspiring, and well-articulated, and each has something unique to offer.
So, that is two, not three books - I really couldn't think of a third. If I find one, I will add it! And if you know of one, let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment