This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good morning friends!  Hope you're all doing great!

E and I (or is it I and I) are doing great too.  We've had a busy few weeks.  E has been applying to graduate schools and has begun his bar review course.  Graphics class just finished, and I'm now focusing on working, preparing for the prelim exam, and enjoying the new freedom I have on evenings. 

The month started off with a 30th birthday celebration for a dear family member.  We trudged a half an hour in the snow to get there - we were happy to use it as an excuse to get some exercise and fresh air, and avoid scraping off the car, but my poor husband caught a cold from his wet shoes and socks.  The party was fun - we chatted with old friends who gave us some new insights, and met a man from Oman, who claims that Oman has the most beautiful and pleasant beaches in all the world. That evening we froze some more, watching the Lights of December Parade, and then warmed up with some hot chocolate with some sweet friends. 

We met Mrs. Francon at her holiday festival, and played with A, who is getting cuter and more independent each time we see her.

We got to meet E's mom's cousin while she was visiting from San Diego.  Like E's mom, she was smart, down-to-earth, and fun to talk to. 

Then came several nights of homework from the time I got back from work to the time I fell asleep.  By the time the project was complete, I had a new-found appreciation for free-time.  The thing I wanted to do most after finishing it was run and do dishes (go figure).  I met with my advisor the next day, and she gave me encouragement, hope, and a pointer to this paper by Hoppe: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/hoppe/proj/thesis/. If anyone reads it, do let me know your thoughts!  Would love to hear them.  I've made myself a promise to spend at least two hours each week working towards the prelim exam (one hour for reading, and one hour for coding).

We spent the next weekend dog-sitting for Penny while our in-laws were in San Fransisco for a work trip.  She is the friendliest dog I've ever met.  If you throw a ball for her to fetch, she's only interested in the fact that you're playing with her, and could care less about the ball.  She loves meeting new dogs and people.  I think she is friendly by nature, but also that my in-laws know dogs very well and have helped her to be a happy, friendly dog. There is a book called "Animals Make Us Human" by Temple Grandin, which talks about how dogs are juvineile wolves, and need a mom and dad.  Penny really does seem like a child a lot of times.  She certainly behaves like one - jumping up on the couch and seeking attention while mom, brother, and sister are around, and on her best behavior when dad comes home.

The book by Temple Grandin was fascinating.  I will put a separate post on it someday, since this one is so long already.

This week, I had dinner with a very old friend from college (you'll never guess who!) and did a little climbing and running with a co-worker.

What have you been up to lately?  Miss you all and would love to hear your thoughts and stories.

Hasta luego.

No comments: