This is a post on religion and spirituality - be forewarned! I'm
sorry if it is offensive - I do not mean it to be. Just hoping to be
honest. I would really love to hear your honest thoughts on the subject
as well.
Is there an ultimate purpose to life? And if there is, does it
matter that I know it? The answer to this question is different for
every human, it seems. I feel that, as an impermanent being, I am
content with impermanent, transient meaning. Good friendships make me
feel great. The loss of a friend makes me feel terrible. If there's
more to life than that, I'm not sure I care. This may seem very
shallow, and indeed it is. But, I actually find this shallow outlook on
life extremely satisfying.
Humans might have souls - I will never know for certain. But I do
know that humans are physical beings, and that our thoughts, moods, and
states of mind are determined at least in part by physical and chemical
processes. Still, whether or not my thoughts and feelings are born out
of complex chemical processes (apparent free will) or genuine free will
does not matter. They still feel real to me.
I think people often equate shallowness with nihilism and
narcissism, but I don't think they have any relation. Even, if there is
no ultimate meaning, there's still intermediate meaning in becoming a
happier person and helping others to be happier, including (but
certainly not limited to) materially happier. Whether God exists or not
doesn't really change that a friend in need is a friend indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment