I've traveled both of these paths mentally, though I've probably done nothing in actuality to sway my behavior either way.
I've
often dreamed of getting rid of 9/10ths of my possessions. Sometimes
because I've found detachment an appealing way of life, but mainly just
for greater peace of mind.
My dad's parents were immigrants to India (from India). They came
with few possessions. My dad has always appreciated everything he has
and taken good care of his things. He tried to impart some of these
habits to my brother and me (though my brother picked them up much
better). He taught me how to hold a book and turn pages so it wouldn't
get dog-eared. He taught me to put everything in ziplock bags with
labels, including teddy bears, so they wouldn't get dusty or lost.
He also taught me that everything should be vacuumed - floors,
ceilings, walls, chairs, etc. We used to vacuum weekly, and furniture
always just got in the way of the vacuuming. I don't know where I got
this habit, but I've also always been comfortable doing everything on
the floor - sleeping, relaxing, reading a book, eating, etc.
So somehow I got this mindset that furniture is antithetical to
happiness. Lately, I've thought this to be true for all excess
possessions - and I have got a lot of excess possessions!
No comments:
Post a Comment