This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Friday, June 8, 2012

Hi friends, hope you are all doing great!

Life's going really well here.   Evan just celebrated his birthday, and is busy learning Chinese, in preparation for Buddhist Studies.   He's also been watching a lot of classic horror movies - I join in when I think I won't fall asleep.

I've been trying to get a firmer grasp of epipolar geometry, and found these awesome slides from UCF.  UCF seems like it has a great computer vision and graphics department.  I wish I was a student there!  But CU is great too, even though our vision and graphics community is very small.
 
Saturday night, I'm looking forward to dancing with friends!

I've also been reading a lot about petri dish/cultured meat online.  It seems like it is frozen in the same state for a few years now.  It is doable, but takes too much energy to be commercially viable, and studies are still in progress on how to get the right taste, texture, etc.  I really hope this effort gains momentum rather than loses it.

If I cared enough, I would go back to school and become a chemical engineer.  But for selfish purposes, I choose computer vision because it is fun and interesting.

Sometimes it is good to be selfish.  Sometimes it's bad. I'm still trying to figure out how to determine when to choose one path or the other.

New Harvest's facebook page had a link to an interesting article in the New York Times.  I also read another article about food safety, and in the comments section, there was a long list of people bashing vegans for being extremists and self-righteous hypocrites.  This is a really unfortunate stereotype.  Veganism and vegetarianism is just a dietary preference, and not all vegans and vegetarians are political about it.  Most of them don't care what other people eat.

Same with alcohol.  Just because a person doesn't drink doesn't mean they care if others do.  I was always taken back when people got offended by my stating that I didn't eat meat or drink alcohol. 

No comments: