This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Howl's Moving Castle

Best romance movie!  It turns stereotypes on their heads, and has the most positive portrayal of old age and of women I've ever seen in a movie. 

Instead of painting elderly women in the stereotypical evil, jealous-of-youth manner, it portrays old Sophie as spunky, clever, resourceful, world-wise, and content with herself and life - everything I imagine and hope old age will be like. 

And, instead of starring the typical beautiful, dainty, helpless, and brainless heroine, it stars young Sophie, an average-looking, smart, adventurous, and good person.  If anything, it portrays Howl in the way that women usually are - obsessed with his looks.  ("If I can't be beautiful, then what good is it to go on living.")  But, thankfully, this movie doesn't reduce men to that, which would be just as unfair and groan-worthy.  Howl is an intelligent, powerful, and arrogant wizard, and his arrogance is portrayed in an endearing way.  He is also kind, compassionate, and a determined pacifist, thwarting authority and endangering himself to bring an end to an unjust war. 

Another thing I loved about the movie was its depiction of war as pointless, destructive, and misguided.  ("Ugh, an airship.  Look at the ugly thing, spreading destruction everywhere it goes."  -- Howl.  "Is it the enemy's or ours?" -- Sophie.   "Does it matter?"  -- Howl).

I am a sap for movies like this.

No comments: