This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

All's well that ends well

Went on a small and fun climbing adventure yesterday, with a momentary scare.  

We wanted to do the Watermark in Boulder Canyon.  We accidentally crossed the creek at the wrong Tyrolean.  It was the first time I've crossed one and it was really fun.  We hiked up a small trail that I really hope wasn't supposed to be closed for re-vegetation. 

We tried the first route we found, but it was too hard for us.  Ed got to the first bolt and put in his quickdraw.  I really need to practice better lead belaying. I kept shooting up instead of staying put on the ground.  I tried it out and found it a fun climb on the way up, but scary on the way down after I removed the quickdraw and then had no rope.  Luckily could jump down the last, hardest bit.

Then came the scare - Ed went exploring to find another route to try, and free climbed up about thirty feet. On his way back down, he slipped and tumbled/fell about twenty feet.  Miraculously, only sprained his ankle.  Phew. 

Success!  No serious injuries and overall a fun time on a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

OMG!!! Dragged for 20 feet?? That's really scary!!! I hope he is doing better and gets well soon!! Please don't go on these crazy hikes that give us a big scare reading about it :)