This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Things coming up in the next week that I'm looking forward to

* Visiting an old friend who just had a baby. Congratulations, P-chan! It's always a great pleasure to see an old friend. Even if it's been years, it might as well be days, given how easily you pick up where you left off.

* CU has posted some introductory lectures on GPGPU programming. And my work has posted some lectures on C++.  Looking forward to watching both of these, and learning something fun!

* Trail jogging with E-chan. He found a soft trail with a beautiful view of the sky, fields, and mountains. I know the weather won't lend itself towards outdoorsy activities this weekend, but really looking forward to the next chance to go here with my favorite jogging partner and soulmate :)

* Langar with my mom at the gurudwara. This is the one part of Sikhism that I love.

The idea behind it is something like this: spirituality doesn't matter to the man with an empty belly. Langar is a community meal at Sikh temples, made during the prayers (which gives me a chance to skip them) and eaten after.

I like langars better than soup kitchens, because they are class-less. Unlike with soup kitchens, there is no separate class of the merit-making servers vs. the pitiable served.  There's no distinction between the rich (who don't deign to partake in such meals) and the poor (who do)(gross over-generalizations here - sorry!). Anyone can join in on making the meal or in eating it, and usually people do both. I guess in practice it is mostly Sikh people, but in theory it includes everyone.

I feel it is less ridden with guilt and obligations and more just about eating!

Also - it is always vegetarian (though not vegan). No pork (to include Muslims), no beef (to include Hindus), and no meat or eggs (to include Jains).  Speaking of which, it reminds me a lot of ...

* Food Not Bombs: I miss going to this, and look forward to it starting back up in April.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh wow...are you guys preparing the langar? And which day exactly is it?

LlamajitKaur said...

Yes - that would be fun if you join :-) April 13.