This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Life ambitions. Phd Comics are great - though I've not done a Master's or PhD, many of the jokes hit close to home, like this one. Some of them are hilarious - here is a funny one on anniversaries.

The weather in Boulder is pleasant and cloudy. Spring in full blast. Or maybe it's summer too, like it is in Seattle. :)

I want to read Catch-22 - there was an excerpt on books.google.com. A doctor is talking to a patient and keeps on asking the patient to tap his back and chest, instead of the other way around. It was strange in a very amusing and engaging way. I would love to read the whole book. I can go on for hours about all the great books in the world, particularly children's books, each with their own style and charm: Bunnicula, Winnie the Pooh, Harry Potter, Beverly Cleary books, E.B. White books, Roald Dahl books. There are many great adult books too: Tintin, Great Expectations. Charles Dickens was insanely racist, and there are some of his books (like Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist) that are bigoted to the point that I can't stand reading them, though they are supposed to be great works of literature. Great Expectations was completely different from those two. It was told from the point of view of a little boy, with a great sense of pathos and irony. It is a bit of a coming of age story - this boy grows up wanting more and having 'great expectations', and in the end, when he gets it, he realizes the greatest things in life, he had all along. There is another coming of age story called 'A Day No Pigs Would Die' - I would like to read the original version. I've only read the abridged version, and it was very heart-rending, and has stuck in my mind ever since. Some authors are geniuses...

No comments: