1. I admire ambition and determination. For example, I have a friend who recently got an advanced degree in psychology and counceling and worked as a grief counselor. Now she wants to start her own private practice and help soldiers with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and their families. I find her very inspiring, partly because she wants to help people who have lost everything (mentally) due to war, and partly because she is ambitious enough to know what she wants, and determined enough to follow through and get it. Though, I have plenty of ambition (learn signal processing and controls, develop new algorithms, save world, etc.), I am so scatter-brained, I can not even read a simple textbook for more than half an hour at a time, nor am I organized enough to make any consistent progress toward my "goals".
2. Flowers for Algernon - my friend recommended this to me, and it's one of the best books I've read. It's about a mentally retarded man who participates in a scientific expirement that triples his IQ, but only temporarily. It opens with the quote: "The eye is bewildered twice - when it goes into the light, and when it returns to the darkness." It was very touching. As his intelligence changes, the other characters change their perception of him and their treatment toward him. And he also changes his perception of the world, of the others, and of himself.
3. Los Angeles - my family, fiancee, and I are visiting LA over the long weekend. It should be a lot of fun - LA is very lively, friendly, and scenic. We'll be near Knotts Berry Farm, so maybe we'll get to taste some jam. It will be interesting to find something that all six of us will enjoy - we seem to have very diverse tastes and opinions of what makes an enjoyable vacation. For example, three of us think that Hollywood would be nice to visit - whereas the other three of us think that it would be a complete waste of time (which sounds a bit harsh, no offense is intended towards Hollywood residents). I think everyone will enjoy the beautiful beaches, though. I think it would also be pretty fun to take the metro and ride around downtown, or to take a bike and ride along the beach.
2 comments:
How cool that you're going to LA with the whole family!! So that means you and miss francon won't be here in the long weekend :(. Well you'll have a lot of fun in LA and you should def. go to Universal studios and DisneyLand if possible (that will be worth your time :P). Take lots of pics so you can show us when you come back. There is a beautiful temple near malibu beach which is similar to tirupati temple, so if you get a chance, visit it :).
Rest, I'll wait to hear from you when you get back :). Enjoy!
You're going to LA! Awesome! Definitely take a lot of pictures. Too bad I'm gonna miss you girl :( I'm coming home over the long weekend myself :).
Btw, I know you will save the world and be able to do all the things you aspire for one day :D
Post a Comment