This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Boulder area has a Community Food Share that collects and distributes food. It is nice organization because it takes care of one of people's important needs, and because it is truly a community organization. One of the bad associations with charities is that they can be condescending - noble benefactors giving help to the lowly, needy 'other'. But it is not the case with the 'Share'. And there is no obligation or guilty feelings with giving food. People donate food when they can, and they take food when they need it. It eliminates the 'us' and 'them' of society. It's all 'us' and it is 'our' food. And we are taking care of all people in our society: the elderly, children, and the down-on-luck. In effect, we're taking care of our parents and grandparents, our children, and ourselves.


I feel really bad when the elderly are mistreated. I hate that there are auto-rickshaws in India, because Indian culture says that one should respect elders, but it is not at all respectful to have an elderly person wheel someone else around. I would hate it if my grandpa or someone I loved had to do that - I could never ride if my grandpa is pulling that cart, I don't think anyone else would either - it is a good reason to never ride such carts! And I hate when I hear if people didn't ride, the drivers wouldn't have a livelihood, because they get paid barely anything for the work they do. I get so much as an engineer, not doing as much work as they do, they should probably get more! And it would be better to just pay someone then to exploit them then pay them... I don't know....

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Very true and very thoughtful! You know I feel that in US at least there are better facilities in senior centers and they're treated really well but in India there aren't enough facilities and that's why they don't have everything they need and who knows how the treatment is. In my point, there shouldn't be senior centers at all.

In high school, I volunteered once at a senior center and I saw one old couple. The woman was on a wheelchair and the husband was sitting on a chair beside her taking care of her. It was so adorable to see their love for each other and have each other's support.

LlamajitKaur said...

awww..