This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Heheh - immediately after the last post, I went to the library website to check out the calendar and to ask if they would ever put out the board games again. On their website was a post from a woman complaining about a dirty man, and her letter made me furious. 

Some background on why it made me so mad: a few Saturdays ago, my husband and I went to the local homeless shelter to give sandwiches and socks.  We ended up in a conversation with a few of the folks there.  I really loved the company of the people there - they were for the most part friendly, candid, and down-to-earth. I laughed harder in that conversation than I have in a while, and really enjoyed it.  One of the things that the people there repeatedly mentioned, though, was the abysmal treatment they got from some people with bad attitudes.  And this woman was pretty much channeling that bad attitude - demanding that a man be ostracized because he was not clean enough.  How clean would that woman be if she did not have a shower and change of clothes to come home to?

Anyway, I went on a public rant on Facebook, and felt a little sheepish and self-righteous afterward. 

Is anger a worthwhile emotion? I can't decide.  Sometimes, it motivates me to positive action that I would never otherwise take. Sometimes, it makes me act like a total jerk.  Sometimes both at the same time.  A penny for your thoughts, please?

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

It was so nice of you guys to go to the homeless shelter to help them out in even little way. About the library incident, I agree with you, she should have put herself in that man's position and thought twice before writing that letter. However, she mentioned about the man being very noisy. And that would be something I would be concerned about and not the man being dirty!!

Being angry does bring out the positive action in you but not all the time :D. Sometimes it makes you do or say stupid things that you never mean to say.