This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Monday, March 14, 2011

Friends

This past week, my friends have given me encouragement and happiness.  I wanted to say a few words about how much I appreciate all of them.

A few Wednesdays ago, I climbed with our friend DD.  He is the poster-child of climber culture, and is such a happy and friendly person, it'd be impossible not to enjoy his company.  He helped me climb my first 5.10a and was full of encouragement and helpful advice. 

Last Tuesday, our friend CO came over to learn a dance with us.   She is one of the most upbeat, passionate, and hard-working people I know.  I love talking to her, because she is talkative and has so many interesting and insightful things to say.  She always makes people feel comfortable to express what's on their minds, and is encouraging.  She is also a talented dancer and picked up the dance in no time!

The next day, our friends ES#1, ES#2, and JV came to jam.  Between ES#1's thumb piano, ES#2's tambourine, JV's flute, and E's guitar, it was some pretty amazing and beautiful music.  I'm impressed with everyone's unique talents and contributions to the collective sounds we produced.  ES#1 has great rhythm and was very encouraging and helpful in keeping us all playing together.  E was a creative force, adding unique and fun elements to the sound, ES#2 had great rhythm on the tambourine and helped keep me on track on the tablas, and JV's flute-work was absolutely beautiful!  I was so happy to play with them and felt very encouraged by the soothing music.  On Friday, E and I got to jam with our friend CB - he has amazing rhythm and is an awesome drummer.

On Saturday, E and I took advantage of the beautiful spring weather by going on a long hike.  I was feeling a little burned out from too much time in front of the computer, and it was relaxing and refreshing to spend the day walking and enjoying beautiful scenery with the person I love most.  The cool breeze felt clean and fragrant, just like the air right before a rainstorm.  It was amazing.  And it was followed by a long, cleansing and rejuvenating shower.  I got to use a new bar of shea butter soap - I love the way it smells.  I'm a little weird in that I love showers - I feel that all problems are washed away with the water and my mind is emptied of everything other than calmness and happiness. 

That evening, we went to our church.  Our friends' son JH greeted us with a big smile and a hug.  It was very sweet and made us feel welcome. I am excited to have kids, and I hope they are as kind as JH.  E and I had a great discussion with friends CB (the drummer) and LB (his father).  LB is the most eloquent person I have ever met.  Every single sentence he has said has been insightful and has presented me with a view I have never thought about before, even if I don't always agree.  CB is someone I deeply admire, because he is very kind to everyone, has great ideas and principles, and goes further than any one else I know to live according to his principles.  I really appreciate his optimism and refusal to put aside ideals for impracticalities that don't necessarily exist.  He very nicely articulated an opposition to cynical viewpoints I have heard and been frustrated with for years! 

I also have deep admiration for our friend CM who is trying to start a spirituality discussion group, because he is so optimistic about human nature.  He thinks positively about all people and treats everyone with kindness. Everyone is equal in his eyes - rich yuppies and the penniless. Often people think more highly of one group or the other - it is rare to meet someone who has equal respect for both. 

Last, but definitely not least, we played tennis with our friend DS.  She is always light-hearted, smiling and laughing, and kind to everyone.  I always enjoy her friendly company and happy spirit!  Her lightheartedness helps us to not take life or ourselves (or tennis) too seriously, and I really miss her company. She is also a really good tennis player, though she doesn't seem to think so.  We started with eight tennis balls, and ended up hitting six of them over the fence, which was kind of funny. 

So... thanks to all you great friends for being so awesome!

(A similar post on my equally awesome family and husband is forthcoming).

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Showers are always great...I completely agree with you. It feels like all the problems are washed away and if they are not..at least the water relieves you from the problems and lets you relax. It always feels great after shower and you can sit down with a fresh mind to do what you need to do :).

You have indeed had a great week full of fun with lots of great friends. That's what life is all about where you enjoy every moment of it with great company :D.