This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Two thoughts...

...that have been on my mind lately.

First is progress on understanding computer vision and hand-tracking. So far, it has taken me two weeks to read eight pages of a paper, but it is interesting and useful information and I feel that I'm getting a sound understanding of the material.  However, I came across an equation I didn't understand today, googled it, and found another paper that explains it - but that paper references seventeen other papers in the first paragraph.  So, I have a lot to read in the near future! 

Second are the burgeoning and increasingly stringent opinions I have on society, truth, and humanity.  The latest of these thoughts is what a terrible religion Sikhism is.  Nanak, who Sikhism purports to follow, reminds me of the Sufis - a man who had genuine love for God and other people, and wrote some light-hearted poetry that wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.  His successors seem like militant and tribal nut-jobs who mis-appropriate his thoughts and simultaneously praise him and form rigid dogmas and superstitious rituals that are in direct contradiction with every idea he had.  I find the religion completely intolerable.

No comments: