Oops - I forgot to mention Easter in the last post, but to be honest, I know very little about Easter. Maybe some of my blog friends who know more about it can post their thoughts :-)
All I know is that with Easter comes beautiful lily flowers. I think they are the most beautiful flowers in the world - I can look at them for hours and hours.
4 comments:
I am with you, hon. I have limited knowledge of Easter. The only thing I know is that it happens on the death and reincarnation of Jesus Christ, but I have no idea how bunnies and eggs feature into this. :P
Nice - that is good info! Hehehe... yeah, bunnies and eggs don't have much to do with the death and reincarnation of Jesus that I can tell. But, I think they are symbols of fertility that come from the Pagan celebration of Ostara (goddess of fertility) that was celebrated around the same time in Ancient Europe.
I think you are right about the symbols of fertility and the link to another celebration around the same time. I got extremely curious and dug around in Wikipedia (easier source of information :P).
Easter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter) - According to the Canonical gospels, Jesus rose from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion. His resurrection is celebrated on Easter Day or Easter Sunday (also Resurrection Day or Resurrection Sunday).
Easter Eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_eggs) - The egg is a symbol of the rebirth of the Earth in celebrations of spring and was adopted by early Christians as a symbol of the resurrection of Jesus.[1]
Easter Bunny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny) - The Easter Bunny was introduced to the United States by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 18th century.[6] The arrival of the Osterhase was considered one of "childhood's greatest pleasures", similar to the arrival of Kris Kringle on Christmas Eve.
Post a Comment