Two celebrations are coming up - one for Holi, the pan-Indian celebration of Spring, and one for Easter, the Western celebration of the Spring.
The office where I work is putting together a festival for Holi and the employees are pitching in their talents for a show. Some of the talented musicians are going to play some rock'n'roll music. My talented husband is going to perform Miserlou and Hocus Pocus on his guitar. I'm putting together a dance. This is the first dance that I'm organizing. It was fun picking out songs that I thought people would enjoy and that would be fun to dance to. To be honest, I got a little lazy, as I usually do. I wanted to select it together with the people I was dancing with, but the woman I was going to dance with got very sick and can no longer dance. :-( She is a really kind woman, and I hope she gets better. I don't want to think of the alternative and I'm sure she doesn't either.
Luckily, another co-worker was very kind to offer to dance with me on a short notice. It is interested dancing with different people. Some people are very confident and come out with steps on the spot. Others feel most comfortable when they know the steps ahead of time.
The dance is a mix of bhangra and cuban son/salsa. The bhangra part was easy to come out with steps, I guess because I'm used to it. The salsa is much harder! I don't really know salsa, and I'm not really comfortable dancing with a partner other than my husband, and I'm sure the guy I'm dancing with won't be that comfortable either, so I'm trying to appropriate salsa parter moves to more solo/performance-type moves. I hope this guy can shake his hips in any direction, shape, or form, and I'll have an easy time making the moves then. :-)
1 comment:
The celebration at your work sounds a lot of fun and good luck to you and Mr. Llamas'r'us for the performances. You guys will rock it!! About the Easter, your guesses are much better than mine, so won't be much of a help there :D.
Post a Comment