#1: Going climbing with co-workers and friends.
I really enjoy rock climbing - it is exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. After you use your strength, mind, and energy to propel yourself up a wall, putting all faith in to your precarious stance and on the belayer that holds the rope, all problems seem small and insignificant. Plus, it gives an adrenaline rush which makes you feel great! It is definitely not a solo activity, though - since you and your climbing partners are putting your lives in each others hand. I've had some trouble finding climbing partners to go with, even here, in the mecca of climbing (we have two rock climbing gyms, a bouldering gym, and a store that specializes in re-sole'ing of rock climbing shoes in a five block radius).
Luckily, some co-workers are interested in climbing too, including two beginners, so I had fun going with them a week back. It was fun to belay beginners - it was nice to get some much needed practice in belaying. A belayer makes sure the person climbing the rock doesn't fall too far if they slip. The climber wears a harness, and in top rope climbing, a rope is anchored to the top of the route and tied to the harness. The belayer holds the other end of the rope, and pulls it tight when the climber slips, so that the climber doesn't fall too far. While the climber is making upward progress, the belayer slowly puts more slack in the rope. I also attempted some overhangs, and didn't have too much success though - I have to figure out how to do those.
#2: Going to a dive
Not the scuba kind, but the rotten bar kind. (Dive is a slang for a bad bar). I've always wanted to go to a dive (don't ask why). After the climb, a co-worker suggested going to one that was a short walk away, and so my wish was fulfilled! I loved the place - it was brightly lit and not too loud (in spite of the drunken karaoke), so we were able to have a conversation over some very affordable drinks. There were some mushrooms growing in the carpet.
#3: Going to a dance club
Another thing I've wanted to do for a while. It was so much fun dressing up and dancing the night away with good friends. I very much want to go again.
Freshman year of college, a friend and I were taking a night class that ended at 9pm. After class, we would go downtown to relax and hang out. One day, she suggested I go to a club with her and a few friends. The first experience was a little unsettling. I didn't know what I was doing, and the club was not very good. The second one, a few weeks later, was much more enjoyable. The club and the people were much nicer. That ended up being a very fun experience, and I've wanted to go since then.
No comments:
Post a Comment