This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Friday, May 27, 2011

Earth-born confused human

Hi friends,

Lately, life and the world have seemed very confusing.  I can't understand where we are, where we've been, or where we're going.  I can't understand the actions of myself or my fellow men and women.  I can't understand whether I'm doing more good or harm, or if it even makes sense to measure such a thing. 

A local charity is trying to build a homeless day-shelter downtown, in order to feed the homeless and help them get jobs, essential medical and mental health services, take showers, and fulfill other necessities of day-to-day life.

Many businesses and people are opposed to the shelter, and I cannot understand their opposition.  They seem to wish that homeless people would simply vanish or cease to exist, or simply go somewhere where they are out of sight and out of mind. 

The people that oppose the shelter claim that all homeless people are all drunk criminals, but I know that to be false.  Of the  homeless people that I've met, some are mentally or physically disabled and don't have family to turn to, some are people in retirement age that lost their homes in the Fourmile Fire, some had bad luck with their apartments and houses, have low-paying jobs and are struggling to get back on their feet, some are wandering for spiritual or religious beliefs, and yes, one that I have met (out of about 40) is an old, happy-go-lucky, but definitely not criminal, drunk.

They claim that the homeless should not be allowed in public places and that the presence of homeless citizens in public parks and libraries prevents them from enjoying those parks.  That is the most absurd opinion of all.  Public parks and libraries are, by definition, designed for the enjoyment of all people.  If individuals are causing trouble, then those individuals should be held accountable.  One can not block an entire group of people based on their economic situation.  It is as ridiculous to ban or discourage homeless people from frequenting parks as it is to ban a certain ethnic, religious, or age group.

No comments: