This is not a flower, it's really a llama

Friday, December 7, 2012

Here is the #1 item in a list of "Twenty New Year's Resolutions for Twenty-Somethings":

"Before you status update, Tweet, Tumble or Instagram, pause and say to yourself, “is it entirely necessary that I share this morsel of thought with my entire social network?” and if the answer is not, “yes, I absolutely must,” then step away from the Internet."

What terrible advice!  (And clearly, the poster did not apply this principle to themselves - or their list of resolutions would not have made it into cyberspace).

Can you imagine a phone conversation with a friend that followed this rule?  "Hello. I have nothing of vital importance to say at the moment. Unless you do, I'm going to hang up now."

So, whether your update to your preferred social-networking-medium is about: the new shoes that you bought or your opinion of Karl Marx; your decision to convert to Neoplatonic Buddhism or a picture of what you ate last night; a photo of a beautiful sunset or a photo of your new baby - it doesn't matter.  If it is on your mind, then it is important to you.  If it is important to you, then it is important to me, because you are my friend, and I am subscribed to your posts because I *do* want to hear your thoughts and see your updates - whether they be so-called-"trivial" or "important".  So, please keep sharing!

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Hahaha...love your take on that sentence from the book!! There are so many emotions, and you can't just tie it down to one which is "Yes, I absolutely must!"....and I agree with you my friend :)

Nanami said...

Awesome post! I love reading your thoughts too! :)

LlamajitKaur said...

Thanks, ladies!